Plum Dozen – Inspiring Business – Chubbies
Despite being from Canada and playing hockey and soccer, my legs never achieved tree trunk status. They're more like...twigs.
But since discovering Chubbies a few years ago, I've been tracking their progress and evolution as a brand and they're absolutely rocking it!
So what are Chubbies? The best thing to do is read the manifesto on their homepage, that's what drew me to them in the first place. The way they've been able to encapsulate what their brand is all about in their manifesto is super impressive.
Welcome to Chubbies. Here is what we believe.
- We believe in the weekend
- We believe that “short shorts” is a redundancy
- We believe in swim trunks, swim shorts, bathing suits, swim suits or whatever the heck else you wanna call ‘em because we believe that if you’ve got a pair of those on, well, you must be doing something right
- We believe in the right your quads have to a life of freedom and sunshine
- We believe in aloha shirts (aka Hawaiian shirts)
- We believe in comfort
- We DO NOT believe in the top button - well, we believe it EXISTS, but we don’t believe in the principle for which it stands
- We believe in our fathers - they led the way; we are but revolutionaries standing on the shoulders of amazingly mustachio’d giants in proper length shorts
- We believe in things with American flags on them, whether that's shorts, swim trunks,or the feathers of a bald eagle being ridden by George Washington
- We believe sweat shorts are the greatest innovation in lounging since hammock cup holders were invented in the early 1780s
- And we damn sure believe in Friday at Five
And they actually invented sweat shorts to accompany sweat pants! I love those so much. They basically despise long shorts or bermuda shorts or anything that goes to the knee, they believe quads deserve freedom.
Very cool, especially if you've got great legs or if you're in highschool or college and you're part of the demographic they're targeting. They found a niche and they're changing the way things are done. Long shorts are for your Dad or Grandpa, it's time to free the leg and make cool looking short shorts for young and hip men.
A few years ago their only product was a bunch of different shorts for men offered online, now they've expanded to women and accessories, and they even have a handful of brick and mortar stores across the USA.
Their growth has been fun to watch, and their branding is right on point.
It's all very inspiring.